The name Rutland dates back to the 1880's. Archibald Burnett Timberlake, the original owner of the property humerously named their land for the smallest shire in England. The Rutland House, once occupied by the Timberlake family, was built between 1790 and 1820 and has documented significance as being one of the headquarters used by Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart. Adjacent to the clubhouse is a community swimming pool with slide and water features, a playground area and a memorial park designed as a tribute to the historical gravesites of the original Rutland Farm.