Summer months are starting to wind down, which means the new school year is right around the corner! So, we’ve put together this quick list of tips that will help you and your children get off to a great start.
- Switch to School Hours a Week Before Class Starts: It is hard letting go of the lazy days of summer. That is why it’s important to start switching up your schedule at least a week before school starts. That way your children will already be in their new rhythm on the first day of classes! After all, you want your kids to be at their best during the new school year.
- Organize Your Supplies Early: At this point, teachers and schools have already provided parents with lists of everything their children need for the new year. Be sure to organize all your school supplies early. A good rule of thumb is to double up on supplies and purchase everything you may need through Thanksgiving. The first few months can be hectic, so you don’t want to be in a position where you must run out and buy things later.
- Find the Right Backpack: Carrying around a backpack can be physically straining on anyone – especially kids. Take the time to find the right backpack for your child. They should include heavy, padded straps and plenty of compartments to organize books and supplies. Then be sure to teach your children the right way to use the backpack including the fact that heavier items should be closer to the center of their backs.
- Create a Homework Space: Homework is a normal part of the school routine, and it should be embraced in the home. Create a quiet, comfortable and mindful space for your children that is free from distractions so that they can think critically about their assignments. Remember to let your kids know that you are there to help if they need it.
- Create a Healthy Menu for Breakfast, Snacks and Dinner: A new school year is a fresh start, so this may be a good time to introduce healthier breakfast, snack and dinner options! To be successful, walk through your decision-making process with your children and explain how the new healthier options are good for their development. Also, be sure to involve them in the preparation process, so that they feel empowered by the choices you are making.
We had a great summer at our master planned communities that were filled with fun and excitement. Now that the new school year is arriving, it’s time to start the year off right. Be sure to share your back-to-school photos with us on our social media pages. Because at HHHunt, it’s how you live that matters. Happy Back to School!