Halloween is just days away! Given the ongoing pandemic, we wanted to take this opportunity to share some spooky games and contest ideas that are safe for every age. Halloween is going to look different this year, but that does not mean you can’t enjoy this October tradition.
- Pumpkin Carving Contest: Pumpkin carving contests have long been a staple of Halloween. Given that social distancing is strongly recommended, why not add a “list twist” to your contest? Decorate or carve your pumpkin on a given day and place it on the front stoop. Judges and/or neighbors can then vote for their favorite pumpkin as they walk through the neighborhood. This approach prevents people from gathering in one place.
- Halloween Scavenger Hunt: Halloween decorations are starting to pop-up in our master-planned communities. Parents can take this opportunity to pull together a scavenger hunt list of neighborhood decorations for children to find from a distance. You can also create a fun scavenger hunt inside your home.
- Backyard Pumpkin Checkers: Checkers is a fun game for every age. Why not take it up a notch by creating a pumpkin checkerboard in your backyard? One side can be white pumpkins and the other orange. Children love playing checkers with friends and family members.
- Beanbag Toss: Beanbag toss games are synonymous with tailgating, but why not add a little Halloween flair? Rather than using a standard board, carve out pumpkins instead. You can also use bags of acorns or candy corn rather than the traditional beanbag. A fun Halloween themed sealed plastic bag is perfect! Your imagination is the only limit for this game.
- Follow the Leader: Follow the leader is a tried and true elementary school game. This Halloween, you can change it up to follow social distancing guidelines and have fun. Use string or tape to create a path that your child or children must follow. Along the path, create stops where they can pick out a piece of candy or play a puzzle. Just be sure to space everyone out so that they are at least six feet apart throughout the entire adventure.
At HHHunt, we believe it’s how you live that matters, and spending time doing the things you love with friends and family is at the heart of this philosophy. We hope that you have a wonderful Halloween and can’t wait for you to share your game and contest ideas with us on social media; just use the hashtag #HowYouLive in your post!