It’s a new year, which means it’s time to check out some of the hot trends in home décor for 2016! We love seeing all of the beautiful homes in our communities and many feature this year’s trends. We believe it’s how you live that matters, and it’s great to see our homeowners creating lasting memories with friends, loved ones and neighbors in their uniquely-decorated homes.
So what are some of the hot trends this year? Let’s take a look!
- Mismatched cabinets: Houzz suggests taking a risk and pairing two different cabinet styles and colors together. The result is pretty stunning! Many of the homes in our communities have a neutral color for the upper cabinets and a bolder color for the kitchen island and lower cabinets. The mismatch style adds a unique flair to the kitchen.
- Softer colors: This year, it’s all about keeping colors neutral and light to make rooms feel even larger. Pantone’s two colors of the year, rose quartz and serenity, are both cool tones that “psychologically fulfill our yearning for reassurance and security in our lives,” according to Pantone.
- Painted ceilings: Many of our community model homes, including the Boone Homes model in our Dominion Park community in Henrico County, have white walls with colored ceilings. This trend is becoming increasingly popular because the painted ceilings really make a room pop. Paint also adds the effect of making the ceiling seem higher.
- Useful décor: Statement pieces that also serve another function are going to be very prevalent in home decor this year. For instance, many individuals are now using mason jars instead of traditional vases to put their flowers in. We’re also seeing people using rustic ladders as towel racks in their bathrooms as well. Thinking outside of the box in home décor is going to be a major trend.
- Multi-functional spaces: Many homeowners are looking for rooms that can serve more than one function in their home. For instance, Lloyd Poe of LifeStyle Home Builders, whose model home is in our Holloway community, explains, “A lot of move-up buyers are looking for four bedrooms and a loft. The loft can be converted to a fifth bedroom or a second-story family space…suitable for a media room, game room and kids’ gathering area upstairs.”
This year looks like it’s going to be all about function and comfort. We love seeing all of the creativity in our communities and look forward to what trends and beautiful décor our homeowners have in store in 2016!